The monthly gathering of the Winnipeg RASC. This meeting is free to attend and open to everyone! Note that in most years, June is the month we take off for our annual BBQ. We’ve opted to push that to July in order to accommodate a guest speaker from out of town.
- Beginner’s Session – Galaxies
- Update from RASC National
- Lost in Space – A look at one of the many spacecraft exploring our solar system
- What’s Up? – An overview of what you can see in the current night sky
- What’s New? – News stories from the science of astronomy
- Refreshment break
- Featured Presentation – History of the Hubble Space Telescope
The Hubble Space Telescope was launched 28 years ago in 1990. After overcoming problems caused by a defective main mirror, Hubble has made discoveries that have revolutionized our view of the universe we live in. This talk will cover the history of Hubble based on a book the speaker is writing.
About the Speaker
Chris Gainor is a historian specializing in the history of space flight and aeronautics. He has four published books and is currently writing a history of the Hubble Space Telescope for NASA. He is also First Vice President of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.