Telescopes for Kids
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Winnipeg Centre proudly announces the return of Telescopes for Kids for 2021, where the Centre awards telescopes to kids excited about Astronomy who normally wouldn’t be able to have one.
If you would like to enter to be awarded a telescope, tell us why! Send an essay, story, video, song, or anything you like, preferably one that reflects your community and culture, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
before December 1, 2021. Awards will be delivered December 24, 2021.
If you are interested in supporting this initiative with a cash donation please see our GoFundMe Page
Bringing Telescopes to Kids since 2020.
The Winnipeg Centre of the Royal Astronomical Society received a donation last year of two telescopes that were gathering dust in a closet. We decided this was a great opportunity to give these telescopes as gifts to some kids that probably wouldn't have a telescope otherwise. We created an essay writing contest, and although due to short time frames only got a dozen entries, we were happy to give away the telescopes to two amazing kids, as well as book packages and a membership to the Royal Astronomical Society.
This year we are hoping for a lot more entries. Please see the rules below for more information on how to enter.
- All entries must be provided by a person residing in Manitoba over the age of 18 who agrees to these rules on behalf of an under 18 minor who wishes to provide an entry to the contest.
- There is no cost per entry but only one entry will be considered per minor entrant. Families with more than one child can enter once per child.
- Entries must be received electronically via email at email@example.com before 12:01 AM CST on December 1, 2021.
- Entries must be original, created by the minor entrant, regardless of format or content.
- Entries may be links to other content, for example to a YouTube video of a song or skit. However, only PDF or Microsoft Word documents, videos on YouTube, or audio on SoundCloud will be considered.
- Entries may be one of but not limited to poems, stories, essays, songs, skits, music videos, artwork or otherwise as long as they are themed "Why I love astronomy and would like a telescope!"
- Written works must be on a single page, audio or video is limited to 2-4 minutes in length.
- The entrant grants the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Winnipeg Centre permission to publish the winning entry on its website provided the entry does not provide identifying information on the minor entrant or that the minor entrant's identity can be adequately hidden.
- The entrant agrees to consider providing permission for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Winnipeg Centre permission to publish an image of the minor in the process of being awarded a telescope on our website and newsletter.
- Entries containing copyrighted material will not be considered.
- Judging will be completed by a panel of members of the Winnipeg Centre of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. Decisions of the judges will be final.
- Contest results will completed December 17 and will be announced at noon on December 24, 2021. If possible, prizes will be delivered before or simultaneous with the announcement.
- The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Winnipeg Centre reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the Contest, and/or the Contest Rules in any way, at any time, for any reason, without prior notice.
Congrats to Hunter and Kara on their telescopes in December 2020!
Cover image courtesy of Firstname Lastname shortu.rl/I71gHi54